Sunday, September 09, 2007

Our First Prenatal Visit

Well Chad & I had our first prenatal meeting this past thursday. It was a little aqward walking in, well for me anyway, Chad loves new people situations, me not so much. So we arrived and Chad did offer me the comfy chair (they have it comfy, not so comfy chair, comfy not so comfy around the room) but I quickly lost it when everyone was asked to move down and somehow we got shuffled out of the good seats, or another couple was taking two or something.

First the VON told us a bit of ourself, and everyone was really quiet and strange. Then she got us to do an icebreaker game and I must admit it looked bad for awhile, but people warmed up and had fun. Chad of course knew two people in the class from before, and he was right in his element cracking jokes until they brought out the dialation chart. Yup, they have this massive chart showing the progression of your cervix as it dialates to 10 centimeters. They actually only go to 8 centimeters on the chart, we think because 10 is just too distressing to see!

Then we were all given a card with a question and answer on it which we were to go around the room and read aloud. Chad got the question about dealing with hemoroids, and I got the question about sex...figures. Chad thought he had the best question! LOL!

After that we had a break to stretch our legs and came back to.....hear the ominious, forboding music climaxing in the background.....THE VIDEO. Yup, they showed us a birth. It was pretty messed up to watch actually. Chad kept patting my knee and looking at me nervously. I was shocked. I mean I thought it would be push, out comes the head, push out comes the shoulders, push out comes the baby, but THIS BABY! it's head was stuck outside of the mom's body for ages as she worked to try and push the sholders out. So there it is, the Mom's belly and the baby's head sticking out for eons!

The VON nurse did a deep breathing relaxing technique thing with us, did Chad ever take the breathing seriously! I think you could have heard his deep breathing from across the room! and we called it a night. Next week we learn about different pain medication etc.

We got in the car and Chad asked me, what I thought of THAT, and I pretty much said, I was pretty sure I didnt want to do it. He said yeah he could see that! LOL! All along I've had myself pretty psyched thinking I can do this thing...the video and the cervix chart....didn't help so much!

I did learn one important thing though. They say you shouldn't drink Green tea 'cuse it can bring on contractions, so I figure middle of October you should be able to find me, hanging out at Tim Hortons with a new found appreciation for the tea, and smelling of grass!

No comments: