Tuesday, February 20, 2007

thoughts on Publishing

As you know I gave an attempt at writing a novel in November. The goal was to punch out 50,000 words in a month and I LOVED the expereince! I needed the push to get this thing out of me, I've wanted to write it for at least 4 years! Anyway, it's one of those cherished things, you know, something you keep so close to your heart. I have allowed 2 people to read it and last night I got some really encouraging feedback from reader #2. He really thought it was great, and not hokey or anything and encouraged me to continue developing it (something I knew I needed to do anyway--I so love these people!) and even to look at publishing it in the end. I'll admit I was a bit suprised.

For me, I have a bit of a beef with this publish your own stuff generation. Basically I'm aware of 2 methods of publishing, 1 pay for it yourself and they'll publish anything, then hope that you can recoop the costs, or 2 send it through the gammet of editors etc. and hope someone eventually likes it well enough to publish it. I'm of the second persuasion, probably only because I have that authentic writers anxed personality, you know the one that struggles at her pen, pining over words and images (I think I've read too much LM Montgomery as a child) and then if or when she does decide to embark on the publishing adventure, is rejected again and again, yet perserveres sending it back and back, trying again and again, until finally someone sees it's worth and decides to publish it.

For me this is some sort of twisted confirmation that it's not junk, that it's a worthy piece of writing. Why have editors, publishers etc. who are excellent in what they do, if you don't need their imput. I don't know.... especially in Christian circles, it seems that anyone can publish anything, as long as they have the money to put up for it and then they get to call themselves a novelist? Can you be a novelist without the anxed personality, the rejection? Can you be a novelist if you don't primarily write to feed your soul, to anwer a call within you, because you must get it out on paper? Maybe I complicate things too much, ok, we all know I have a habit of complicating things too much, maybe any 'ol body should be able to print, record, any 'ol thing....just doesn't it lose some of it's power that way? What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
I took a writing class and the smart teacher told us that everyone has an audience for their stories. How a person chooses to publish will perhaps define the size of their audience.

If you have a passion and the gifting to be published by a publishing company then it certainly speaks volumes of the writing ability God has given you. It is like a seal of someone recognizing that knows what they are talking about that says yes I see this person has a gift.

However, there are people who love to write that may never be good enough to be published by a big company. It doesn't mean they still don't have an audience they are meant to communicate to. They may have a small audience of 100 people (friends, family, acquaintances) who what they write will mean something to them. That is their audience. To me that is OK too!

HOWEVER, if someone is not gifted and does not passionately want to get things on paper then I would question their motive for writing. What was the purpose?

We were also told in our teaching class that just because one company rejects your writing does not mean it is not good. Some companies have only certain styles and types of material they are looking for at one given time.

Don't give up Heidi! Go for your dream. I know this going for your dream stuff can be painful and sometimes frustrating, especially the rejection part -- I'm living that now. But I look at it that at least I'm not willing to sit down and do nothing. I'm proud of you Heidi!

Heidi said...

I've not really thought about the different audiences option before. I can really see how publishing your own novel, story, family history or whatever could be really nice for family & friends etc. I guess to me, writing has always been an LM Montgomery type of expereince! thanks for sharing the thoughts.