Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Full Heart

December 19, 2006

Last night after work Chad & I went over to the Billington’s for Autumn’s birthday supper. She turned the big 2-0! I know Chad found it hard to believe his little sister was all grown up. Sharon, as usual, put on a massive spread of food! Gosh, I haven’t felt that full in ages. Meatballs, mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, brown rolls….and then Marble cake with gooey chocolate icing and way too much ice-cream! I then we wondered why we had to lay on the floor and moan discomfort!

Savanna, of course is a riot! What a hoot! The extra sugar from the chocolate and ice-cream probably didn’t help! Autumn got this cool Winnie the Pooh and friends dancing thing that played Christmas songs and Savanna loved it. She would dance, bending her knees a tiny bit, but she’s a head banger! She would just stand there, bopping her head like a cool dude. I thought I was going to cry laughing at her! Over and over again she’d say Momma, Nanna, Poppa, Doug and Kad (for Chad), of course also Ned and Mudd (her imaginary friends we think) and I don’t remember the other guys name, and then toward the end of the night she just pointed at me and said Heidi! I couldn’t believe it! I have a harder name to say so I didn’t expect her to get it for a while, but it was clear as day and totally made my birthday week! She’s such a doll! And has the most adorable smile!

Autumn opened her birthday gifts (with the big and potentially embarrassing Christmas present on the way at Christmas) and then I got to open my gifts! Autumn and Savanna gave me these adorable gingerbread men that bob—how I love gingerbread men! And Sharon and Gary gave me a box of mint chocolates (oh yum---goodbye waist goodbye) and the cutest wooden snowman head with a tree cut out in the hat and a light inside. It sounds weird but it is so great and sits in my window at home—I love him! But more than anything I love the card Autumn gave me. When I read it I didn’t know what to think, I was stunned, trying not to cry. It was so beautiful and I will treasure it forever. It said that she thought of me often and was so happy I was part of the family. Honestly I have found it hard coming into a new family and wondering at times if they would just prefer I hadn’t taken Chad away from them, I know the change hasn’t been easy on them either. It meant so much to me to know that she likes me, I hope over time to develop a better relationship. My cherished gift this year, is that card.

So in tummy agony, but full heart we went home for the night and I hit the sack early so that I would feel more rested for work today, than yesterday. The birthday week continues.

No comments: