Monday, May 12, 2008

Reflections on My First Mother's Day

Well I guess it's official, I'm a real mother having made it through my first Mother's Day, lol.

Actually the day started off really well with the sun shinning and Zoë NOT screaming as I got ready for church. Of course I put her in the sweetest little pink dress she owns and she cooperated fully, sometimes I think she likes playing dress up, she certainly loves being told she's beautiful! Anyway a great start to a Sunday when they are usually quite hairy! There's this little hat that goes with Zoë's dress and overcoat and it just makes me want to cry with happiness when I put it on her, she's so gorgeous! (I've got to add that my unruly mane was actually somewhat cooperative for a change too!)

We actually arrived at church early and I didn't have to feed her (she must be growing up a bit)and we even had time to socialize a bit.

Pastor Verner had a really interesting sermon comparing Mother's Day, Mother's birthing pains and adoration for her child to the birthing of the church on the Day of Pentecost and God's feelings towards His church. I'd never heard it put this way before and I found it really interesting.

There was also time in the service to reflect on being a Mom. I've got to say I'm still in awe at the depth of feeling that accompanies being a Mom. I've never felt so deeply before. When I catch her smile, or make her laugh her belly laugh, when she's sleeping or reaches out for me, when she's sucking on her toes, or playing in her bath, even crying and fussing, when I'm feeding her or playing with her I'm overwhelmed at the depth of feeling that swells in my heart, and then I'm even more overwhelmed to think that someone ever felt that way for me, my Mom. It's funny how differently you view your Mom after you become one yourself. I guess one of the things I didn't realize before Zoë (and was so worried about when I was pregnant) was that what makes you a great Mom has nothing to do with all these ideals of motherlyness (gentleness, cleanthliness, unselfishness) but simply that you love your child with all of your being. What relief as this comes so naturally, so much so that it even shocks you at the depth of feeling you suddenly have for this little person.

We came home after church after attempting to put feelings for our dear friends Heidi & Doug into a few words for a video clip, and we took a couple of pictures, how could we not when Zoë looked so adorable! Then I gave my Mom a call and wished her a Happy Mother's Day as Chad took to the grill to prepare me a fantastic Mother's day dinner or yummy sticky ribs, fries & salad.

Chad headed in to evening service and Zoë and I hung out, played a bit, read some books, gave her her bath and put her to bed. As the evening wound down I read a few more chapters in the book I'm reading "Boundaries", this book is really changing how I look at relationships, putting words to thought's I'd had, and giving me confidence to make changes in my life and relationships, I highly recommend it!

Anyway a great Mother's day, I hope it was go for you other mother's as well.

No comments: