Thursday, May 08, 2014

Mother, you are enough

Ah the big weekend rounds the bend and Mothers everywhere inwardly cringe a bit. Oh it's a glorious Sunday, often at long last the sun comes out, the bbq's flare up or KFC buckets stink up  minivans, garden nursery's are a buzz of activity and jewlery stores are hoppin, but Mothers are inwardly cringing. You see nearly every Mother I know has one big question on her mind, and all the bbq sauce, over seasoned drumsticks, rose bushes and charm bracelets won't adequately answer that one unspoken nagging question, "Am I enough?"

He screams NO!! because he doesn't get enough of my attention. Her iron is low because I didn't eat enough meat. I only nursed her 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years... She didn't come home because I was too harsh. She didn't come home because I was too lenient. He can't concentrate at school because I didn't sing him lullabies as a baby. His second cavity, I let him drink juice!. I never did figure out that blasted glue gun! She flunked out of university, I should have read to her more.  She growls in response because I didn't talk to her enough. She won't stand up for herself I didn't push her enough, I pushed her too much...

Yes Dad's we really do think about everything we do as Mom's.  My Grandmother once said " You're only as good as your child who is doing the poorest."  I think it's true, our hearts are so woven with our children it's difficult to separate ourselves from their realities, but that's the key isn't it?  It's their reality. God has a purpose for their lives and we pray and prepare our children to step into them surrendered to him but in the end they make the choices that determine the paths they take.

Each time he said, " My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me,.2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT

We need to rise up and take the "me" out of Mom.  A wise mom once told me that she always prays that God will guide her parenting and fill in all the cracks.  Mom's let us believe it to be true this Mothers Day. "Lord God I will never be everything my child needs, but you didn't create me for that purpose. So today, I put my child back in your arms and remind myself, she is yours, you will fill in the cracks and as I trust you with my weaknesses, I'll see your power working through me and know, I am enough."

No comments: