Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Travel to Port au Prince


What a full day.  It always amazes me how quickly one can adapt to a new environment, “ …and now I’m here.” 

It was an early start with a 3:45am alarm sounding and a 6am flight out of Fredericton.  I was am totally in awe of God today!  Unfortunately since the Earthquake in 2010, I have not done well in small spaces, particularly planes.  The lining up to get in, waiting to leave part has just been panic inducing. So many of my friends were praying this trip, and I was certain that I wouldn’t medicate myself out of this one, God is not a God of fear and I had faith (although it may at times have been small) that he would get me through the fear for this trip.  Seriously, he surprised me, not only did I get through the fear for this trip but I just didn’t have it. I was calm and at peace the entire process. God is a God of peace and he was travelling with me today.

I was reminded of my friend Sue’s prayer with me yesterday as she prayed and got this image of God and I, daughter and father, on an adventure trip together. I felt his presence with me all day as we travelled. Barry & Jasmine prayed God’s peace over every aspect of this trip, indeed, amazing peace I had.  I have not been able to adequately explain the anxiety flying had become for me, the change today was so intense and wonderful!

A close second to flying, I can honestly say the Port au Prince airport was not high on my list of fun things to do.  In my previous two visits the airport was aggressive and stressful. I was shocked at the newly renovated aiport, it was calm and organized and even enjoyable. I kept waiting for that moment when things got intense and chaotic, and instead-peace…

Bernie and I were both so excited to see the positive changes in the city since our last vist! Much rubble, garbage and debris have been cleaned up it truly is so hopeful.  Driving through the city was also peaceful today, unheard of usually, a huge soccer game has crowds gathered around small outside tv’s along the sides of the streets.

We arrived at our hotel for the night and I was in awe of the beautiful patio we had supper on.  We are so high above the city, it is like it was laid out before us as we ate-breathtaking.

Tomorrow we head to World Vision Headquarters in Port au Prince for a visit before travelling out to the central plateau. Another busy travel day ahead.

Sue left me with this Scripture yesterday  Isaiah 59:19-21
In the west, people will respect the name of the Lord;in the east, they will glorify him.For he will come like a raging flood tide driven by the breath of the Lord.[a]20 “The Redeemer will come to Jerusalem to buy back those in Israel who have turned from their sins,”[b] says the Lord. 21“And this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord. “My Spirit will not leave them, and neither will these words I have given you. They will be on your lips and on the lips of your children and your children’s children forever. I, the Lord, have spoken!

No comments: